I noticed these black caterpillars munching on the nettles. I think they are the caterpillars of the Peacock butterfly.
So the plumber has been and gone. He has installed our toilet and basin as well as a heated towel rail, light, fan and outside tap.
We are very pleased with the bathroom. There are just some finishing and cosmetic jobs to do now including tiling above the basin, painting, boxing in the pipes and flooring.
As the bathroom is now functional, we have turned our attention to the second bedroom. The cosmetics can wait!
Chris has cut the insulation batts to fit between the rafters.
...and we have started fixing the multicouche insulation on top.
We then started to fix the plasterboard to the ceiling. Not an easy job!
But we did it and then Chris used some of the left over end pieces on the low wall.
Whilst Chris has been cutting and fixing the plasterboard (he calls me when I'm needed!) I have been tackling areas of the garden - the brambles down the bottom by the pear trees, the brambles at the side of the driveway and the overgrown laurel hedge.
There were brambles and bindweed growing around the pear trees and I've cut this all back.
Also we've seen a couple of young adders here this year so we want to create an area of short grass so if they are basking there they will be more visible!
My plan was to be able to strim and mow around and behind the two pear trees and the Bramley apple tree. The gaps between the brambles and the trees aren't quite wide enough yet (next visit!) but we've gained a substantial additional area of grass. Quite rough and tufty at the moment but I'm sure it will improve with time and mowing.
Cutting back the brambles at the side of the driveway is an ongoing task from year to year....
I did a considerable amount of work on this last year. The brambles do grow back but they are only young stalks which are easy to remove. The hard work is in removing the old woody brambles underneath. I enjoy it though and I always pick blackberries at the same time!
I've made a little progress each day.
And we have now gained an extra metre or so!
I haven't decided definitely but I may plant some shrubs on this bank.
I'll be working on the next metre in due course!
The herb bed is looking good.
Beautiful 'Schoolgirl' climbing rose peeping round the stone wall.
Oh no! Who's this?!
I am also in the process of digging up an old gorse bush to make way for a flowering shrub by the front gate.
Cutting back the overgrown laurel....it had grown to a ridiculous height.
What started out as a light trim - I cut some side branches - became something rather more drastic! I decided to cut it down to a manageable height for future years about 4 feet or so.
It will now be possible to reach and prune the new growth each year.
I'm not a great fan of laurel but it does (did!) provide an element of privacy from the road.
Indoors, I have made a new cover for my sewing machine....
....and it wouldn't be Brambling in Brittany without blackberries....I made a batch of blackberry jam!
See you next time!