Thursday, 11 September 2014

The Bucket Test

This morning we got up early and after breakfast made a start on our tasks.

Chris was straight up the ladder fixing the down pipe......


.....whilst I made the new hose connection.....


I took some photos of the house from the road......


 ...because we're going home soon and I don't want to forget anything.....


....including the view up and down the road.....



To test the down pipe, I performed the bucket test from the upstairs window! 


The water flowed from the down pipe with just a couple of leaks that Chris would fix later.


Max was enjoying the morning sunshine.....


Spencer was jealous because I was taking photos of Max so had to act the fool.....


This morning we had been discussing treating the woodworm (petite vrillette) in the cottage staircase. To prepare, I mopped the floor in the cupboard under the stairs. I hadn't mopped in there before and the floor was covered in the thick muddy residue the same as the rest of the downstairs had been. It took three buckets of soapy water before it was reasonably clean. I noticed a rodent hole in the corner of the cupboard....


There was also woodworm frass (the dust that falls from the wood when the woodworm beetle bores out) and some woodworm holes in the wallpaper on the underside of the stairs.


It was so dark in the cupboard I had to wear a head torch. Please please let us have electricity next visit!

I spoke to Chris about the woodworm again. He was of a mind to leave the treatment until next time as it was only affecting a couple of stairs. He showed me some more frass up the stairs and there was also some on the bottom stair vertical. I said I could do the treatment as there wasn't too much. Chris wasn't keen but said I could do it as long as I wore mask, gloves and was very careful. How old am I?!

Chris had been busy outside putting in the fence posts for our access barrier...a security measure for when we leave.



I made a shepherds pie for dinner using some of Henri's veggies.......


....then I helped Chris fix the panel to the top of the farmhouse front door opening.....


 Another good security measure and the birds won't be able to get in and poop everywhere.


After lunch, I started digging the hole for the middle fence post for the access barrier. What I thought would be an easy task, was the opposite as the ground was solid, compacted gravel from many years use in the past.


It was supervised work!....


Chris and I managed it together in the end....Chris bashing the ground with a heavy spike and lump hammer and me digging out the loose stones and earth. Chris then drove the met post into the ground.....


...and began fixing a strong plank of wood to the posts.


I took to the cool of the cottage. I cleaned the rest of the back door and surround. I had bought some curtain rings and hooks at Bricomarché....


.....different to the UK ones I'm used to but looked like they would do the job just as well.


I had brought a pair of long curtains from home in England as I thought they would suit the cottage....one at the back door and one at the front. I knew they would need hemming so I hung one on the pole at the back.....


......they looked much prettier than I had imagined.....


They were too long so I pinned up the excess.....

These curtains have a lovely striped lining that you can see from the outside......


After much pinning and adjusting on the kitchen table, I made a start on sewing up the hem.


Whilst the shepherds pie was in the oven, I picked some blackberries and made a crumble with some tinned peaches.


We ate dinner but were too full for the crumble so we'll have that tomorrow.

I continued hemming the curtain into the evening.

We have to get up early tomorrow as we have a 9.15am appointment at the vets in Gourin.

Phew...that was a long post!

Thanks for sticking with me to the end!

Maggie xx

3 comments:

  1. You are already making it a home! How you must miss it when you have to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wood worm is a real pest so the quicker it is fixed the better. We had a lot at one end of our house! I am sure you are looking forward to your return and I hope for you that you have electricity, it makes such a difference :-) Yes I also discovered that the curtain hook etc were different to what I had used in the past. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Michelle...you are really making it a home, not just a house. The curtains add so much and baking a crumble and sheperd's pie just sounds so satisfying. I had post beetles when I first got my farm and had to have an exterminator before they would let me buy it. Of course, the owner had to pay for it. So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment....I would love to hear from you.....