Tuesday, 14 July 2015

The Cottage Roof is Stripped

Thursday 2nd July 

I'd like to start by saying a big thank you to you for following my blog and all the supportive words. I love reading your comments and I love the thought of you being alongside us in our adventures. Sorry if I can't reply to the comments individually at the moment but our internet is very limited. 

My early morning routine at the moment is to set the alarm for 6.45am, get up and put the kettle on, put the water heater on in Harvey J, have a cuppa back in the cottage whilst the water heats up, have a shower in Harvey J.....by then it's nearly 8am and the roofers are arriving. A shower usually makes me feel ready to face the world!

We awoke to heavy rain again this morning. The roofers arrived before 8 am today. I assume they wanted to get a good start. Unfortunately the rain delayed them slightly. It wasn't long though and they were removing the felt shingle tiles from the cottage roof. 



Our electrician arrived mid morning and continued laying the cables and fitting some new sockets. 

By lunchtime, this side of the cottage roof had been stripped to the wood and work had begun on replacing any rotten wood. 



They had removed the old Velux window.  


After lunch, our English neighbour Gail popped by to see us. We had a cup of tea and a chat although it was slight chaos with the electrician threading cables through the ceiling and the roofers hammering on the roof! She invited us to a barbeque on Sunday evening that was being held by an English couple we hadn't met yet. I checked with Chris and said we'd love to go. Even though our wish is to be part of the French community here, it's always good to meet new friends whatever nationality!

By the end of the day, the waterproof membrane had been completed on cottage roof and the whole roof had been marked out with red chalk ready for tiling. 



Thank you for your company!

Maggie xx

5 comments:

  1. It's lovely to see your posts and how the farmhouse is coming along. The kitchen is looking very homely now with all your additions and the painted cupboards. You must be pleased with your progress and having a good roof and electrics will make all the next stages easier. Good luck with it all, and I look forward to hearing and seeing your developments. ( I am envious)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like all is going well. You can send the rain down to us, we need it desperately!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel quite excited for you that your are getting your roof done. Isn't that daft???? I so enjoy reading all these last posts which I haven't had time to read and seeing the progress you are making. Keep posting the pics please I so enjoy this daring project of yours.

    Artichokes....hearts raw great in a salad. Such an easy veg to prepare. Try in the oven with olive oil and pine nuts. :-)

    keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cottage roof is looking great! It seems that you still had a lot of work to do back then. I hope you can share some photos of its improvements, or better yet, the final outcome of your roofing project. Cheers! :)


    Pleasance Faast @ Shelton Roof

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once the roof and electric is done I bet you guys will really "go to town" but not literally or maybe....what's next? I'm eager for decorating and hearing what your plans are or do you just take it one day at a time? I'm a slug so I have no business pushing anyone else! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment....I would love to hear from you.....