Friday, 11 September 2015

Walking with......snakes!

Friday 21st August
A lovely sunny day today.

At midday, I was speaking to my son George on the phone and wandering round the back of the barn when I saw an adder (Vipera berus). We had seen one last year but this was the first one we had seen this summer. I wondered if it had been in the field and disturbed by the harvesting.


It was right on the edge of the path warming itself in the sunshine. I got close enough to take a photo but not too close. It was looking straight at me but didn’t seem bothered by my presence and I wonder what would have happened if I hadn’t seen it. Would it have moved before I stepped on it? Or if Spencer had sniffed it?! Apparently they're not aggressive unless threatened but we’re being extra careful about watching where we walk from now on! You might think I'm strange but I think they're rather beautiful and fascinating.....at a distance!


In the afternoon I had my hair done...what luxury! The hairdresser came to the house. I think she was a bit shocked by the rustic charm of the place!! She’s English so it was easy to explain what I wanted. I don’t think I’m quite brave enough to enter a French hair salon yet! This lady was so nice and I was pleased with my hair so I will call on her again next time we are here.

Late afternoon the combine harvester started cutting the wheat again. They managed to finish the field this time and the baler came along later and finished the bales too.






Early evening and we added a couple of finishing touches to the cottage kitchen....the return of the coat hooks and a pre-loved plate rack.




Thanks for popping by!

Maggie xx

4 comments:

  1. YIKES! Be careful. Snakes give me the shivers.
    The place is looking so homey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad we have no parallels to your adder! No poisonous snakes live in our region, which makes me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am quite fond of snakes, but yes adders/vipers you need to have respect for. The house is looking good Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like you, I think they're beautiful but I don't want to get bit nor my girls either. We have some really poisonous ones here. So glad you saw it in time and you are right. It was stirred up by the field activity. The only one I saw last year was after they mowed a parkway near the woods that had never been mowed before.
    So glad you found a hair dresser you like and she's English. I love your coat hook and your plate rack. What pretty plates too! The kitchen is looking so "homey"!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment....I would love to hear from you.....