Saturday, 6 August 2016

A Busy Week Inside and Out

The marigolds, godetias and snapdragons are blooming well and adding some stunning colour to the garden.





We've had a busy and productive week.

Chris has completed the wood panelling in the bedroom. The next task is to improve the end stone wall with insulation and some kind of covering. Luckily Chris has some ideas about how to do this!



Chris has also finished the task of reinstating the living room ceiling height by supporting it with large bolts. To make the job easier, he had treated himself to an SDS drill which went through the granite like butter.




Chris then removed the acroprops and now the ceiling is drooping no longer!




Once Chris had finished the wood panelling, I reclaimed the stepladder and restarted work on painting the living room ceiling.



Having washed the ceiling with sugar soap, I then completed three coats on half of the ceiling. 


Here you may see the newly painted ceiling and the old colour. It will all look much cleaner and brighter.


On Monday, I made some cherry and sultana flapjacks as on Tuesday our friends Rod and Gail were popping round for a cup of tea and a nice catch up.


Later on the same day, Chris and I took a trailer load of rubbish to the déchetterie. We then went to a local garden machinery store and bought a lawnmower. The trailer was now empty so we could take it home straight away.

Chris couldn't wait to play with his new toy  start mowing.





It's really making a difference to the look of the place.





I spent a couple of hours raking up the dead grass. The mower has a collection box but there was a lot of grass cuttings from before where we had strimmed. 


Did I mention we have a vipère (adder)? We think it's a female. We saw her the first time last Sunday and we have since seen her several times, always in the same place.


She's not very big, probably about 20 inches/50cm long.


She is living in the brambles and comes out to sunbathe.

The maize is growing very tall in the field around us.


 A few photos of the other animals.....






I think one of the local farmers must have heard about how much porridge we eat! We went on a walk.....


.....and found a field of oats!


I had pulled out most of the ragwort due to it being poisonous to goats but this one had escaped me. I found it just over the fence...complete with cinnabar moth caterpillars!


Thanks for popping by...it's been lovely to have your company!

Maggie xx

4 comments:

  1. Very good progress by each of you, and some fun photos. Spencer kept bringing his ball in hopes of some play, I see. And that first goat looks to be doing a Yoda impression: "Do or do not. There is no 'try.'" Perhaps she has hypnotized you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is looking good. The flowers are beautiful, and the garden looking great for its mowing. I love your little goats - how nice that you can borrow them when you're in France. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed with the work you're doing, especially the ceiling support. It is really looking good. I know having the mower will be a huge help -- so much faster than string trimming everything! As for the snake, 20 inches seems plenty big enough for me. I don't like snakes. Is it poisonous?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered how long it would take before you got a lawn mower. "Striming"...we call it "weed whacking" here in the states, can't be fun! Is an adder poisonous? It looks it. Do you have to worry about the animals getting bit? Your ceiling looks a bit pink but I am imagining it is white? Good job Chris with the new toys!
    And you....3 coats on half the ceiling in 1 day? You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment....I would love to hear from you.....