Tuesday, 8 August 2017

A Walk amongst the Christmas Trees

There's a Christmas tree plantation across the road from our house. Chris and I have often said how wonderful it would be to walk Spencer there. It's straight across the road so we wouldn't have to walk along the road and ambling through a wood (these trees are tall!) would make a refreshing change. Even though we thought that it was likely that no one would mind, we have never liked to take the chance of upsetting anyone by walking there. Also there is barbed wire across the entrances and a 'Gerdarme' sign so we thought it best not to risk it anyway!


Over the last few days, I've been saying to Chris that the next time we see the man who maintains the plantation, I would ask him if we could take the dog for a walk there. We'd seen him last year but only exchanged a wave across the road.

Well, as luck would have it, yesterday, a van pulled up on the verge near to our house. The man from the plantation appeared with a strimmer and we all exchanged 'Bonjour' and 'Ça va' and he warned us that it might be a bit noisy for a while whilst he strimmed. A couple of minutes later, I plucked up courage and walked over to him. I thought, what have I got to lose, he can only say no. We exchanged a couple of pleasantries and I then asked him about the dog walk. He confirmed he was the owner of the plantation and that of course we could. He couldn't have been more friendly and seemed really pleased. He told us he'd seen deer with fawns and there were lots of blackberries to pick. It seemed that he was happy that someone would get some pleasure from using the plantation. We exchanged names and he introduced himself as Gerard.

So today, we went on our new walk.


During his visit, Gerard had also mown the tracks.




It was a very pleasant walk, different to our walk along the track amongst the fields.


I'm sure we will see different wildlife here too.


It will be cool and shady on hot summer days!


I'm so glad I plucked up the courage to ask Gerard about the walk....nothing ventured nothing gained as they say!


In the evening, the combine harvester appeared in the field next to us. I always find the harvest so interesting. They were just getting into the swing of it around the perimeter of the field when it started raining. It was such a shame as they had to abandon it for now


I'm sure they'll be back soon.


Thanks for popping by!

Maggie xx



2 comments:

  1. Another similarity in our regions; LOTS of Christmas trees grown near us, too! So happy for your new walking territory; I'd have asked about riding my horse there. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment....I would love to hear from you.....